Friday, May 16, 2008

Chicken Fried Rice

I'm on a diet, so of course I want everyone else to eat healthy too, here's something I scrapped together today, and was surprised at how good it was.

Healthy, Quick, Chicken Fried Rice

Makes 1 serving.

  • 4 oz. skinless chicken breast (cooked)
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1/2 cup instant brown rice
  • 1/4 cup fresh, clean, sliced mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup fresh, diced onion
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
  • salt to taste (omit salt for low sodium diets)
Preparation

While the rice is cooking in the microwave, slice up the chicken, mushrooms and onions. In a hot skillet combine and stir everything together and cook on med-high until the pieces of egg are browned.
Total Prep Time: ~15 mins (if chicken is already cooked)

Nutritional Information
  • Calories: 470
  • Fat: 23.8 g (mostly from olive oil)
  • Carbohydrates: 38 g
  • Protein: 32.5 g
  • Sodium: 225 mg (amount w/o added salt)
I think it would be good to add some soy sauce as far as taste goes, be careful though, soy sauce has a ton of sodium. Some peas and corn would also be good in it, and they add a fairly insignificant amount of carbs, but the more you add, the more time it takes, and I like quick meals.

Overall I'm happy with how balanced this meal is, and how quickly I was able to prepare it (the 15 mins was rounded up), when I made it I added a little extra rice for more carbs and some salt, this was my post workout meal so I could afford it. One last thing, the veggies weren't really measured, the amounts above are just approximations, add as many veggies as you like.

No comments: