I had been listening to my custom station on Slacker (internet) Radio for nearly a year now, but they recently started to play ads in between songs, so of course they had to go. I don't mind visual ads around the player, but if I want commercials I'll listen to old fashioned radio.
My buddy at Nigzich Nutrition and Fitness recommended Pandora internet radio, and I must admit I like it, a lot.
First let me state what I like about Slacker over Pandora, and then I'll rant about Pandora.
- Ban artist feature
- Adjust how many artists are recommended
- The ability to make exclusive stations
- Can add comedians
- Poor variety
- Radio times out when left inactive
- Slacker portable is just lame
- Premium features are constantly dangled in front of you, why don't you understand that not wanting to pay for radio doesn't make me cheap!
- No audio ads
- Simple intuitive navigation
- Station sharing with friends and messaging (I know it's a marketing ploy, I don't care)
- Approval and disapproval of songs
- Snooze option allows you to disable a song for a month, I really like this feature
HumanMusic Genome Project really does learn what you like and ends up playing some great music as a result
- The ability to purchase songs or albums on iTunes or Amazon
- Can't ban artists, only songs
- Can't build exclusive stations that ONLY play a limited number of artists
- Also times out after a span of inactivity