Wednesday, December 1, 2004

The Disease of Overstimulation

I want to tackle the issue of overstimulation. Growing up I had television, Nintendo (which I annually pay homage to), the internet, computer games, and all sorts of entertainment that captured my attention. I was reading the Tribune a few weeks ago, and there was a Zits cartoon about overstimulation that brought it to my attention. I thought about it for awhile and later diagnosed myself with overstimulation. Some of it's symptoms are excessive boredom, a high amount of video game playing, and the inhability to watch anything that's not flashing, exploding, killing, or visually oppressive. I'm haven't concluded whether or not being overstimulated is a bad thing, it does have it's benefits, for example, multitasking. But the cons are many, sitting through church can be difficult, as can reading, cleaning, working, brushing your teeth, and watching educational television. Maybe I'll have a future blog about treatment of overstimulation, but until then I'll blame it on our overindulged, entertainment glutton society(as I'm writing a blog, listening to music, searching ebay, checking my email, listening to the tv, and chatting).

3 comments:

HisFootSoldier said...

Now you know I have to respond because it is tradition. I will make it a point to respond to your every post. bwahahaha.

Anyhoo... Get help. You are a very bad multitasker. Trying to converse with you online is a pain in the neck. I'd say the same thing about you in person except you're always discracted by phones and electronics and I'm the same way. :-p *still has your sweet home alabama ringer playing in her head*

"as I'm writing a blog, listening to music, searching ebay, checking my email, listening to the tv, and chatting."

And you told me you didn't do all those things at once. Shame on you and all your lies! LIES! ALL LIES!

Now walk a straight line to that manhole and when you fall in, I want to hear the alphabet backwards.

UndercoverPunk said...

I had a talk with an older guy (late thirties or so) about this about a year ago. There's a huge break between generations on this, and I tentatively trace it back to the release of the Nintendo. Or maybe the Atari. Anyways, people raised before the release can focus well on a single task and get it done, but can't do multiple things at once very well. People raised after the release can do a lot of things at once, but can't focus on a single one and get that one thing done. It's a tradeoff. I used to be able to do both, probably because my experience playing chess helped me to focus, but not so much anymore.

HisFootSoldier said...

What about people like my grandfather or uncle who were raised in the pre-Nintendo era but somehow managed to fall in love with it when it came out anyways?

My grandfather is around 76 and all he wants to do is play his Super Nintendo. (yes, he's finally moved up from Nintendo) And no one can talk to him while he's playing cuz he just won't hear us. Now my ole uncle... he has to have everything. He literally owns every video game system and hand-held device on the planet. I mean what happened to his sitting down and reading the paper days? What happened to those nice games of golf on a warm course in the summer? Now he just reads the news online and plays golf on his xbox. I think it's all quite sad.

Technology ownz us all. I'm not any better, but I've actually been raised with all this stuff.